So after I wrote that previous blogpost, SP commented and asked if I’ve read Essays in Love by Alain De Botton. And since I finished reading Trash (it’s the title of a book by Andy Mulligan which I liked btw), and I was feeling a bit “ready for it” — I decided to read it.
Let’s just say, I find it funny that after I posted my review, it became the most helpful review in shelfari. and the review was:
When I tapped Kobo to close the book, my mouth was hanging open.. ehem.. is still hanging open actually. And I mean this quite literally. haha! 🙂
Where do I start? It started kinda ordinarily– boy meets girl. And then you start to see how it’s different and you understand why the title is what it is. I liked how this book was written. I never give spoilers so what else is there to be said about this book?
1) It’s a love story. Yep.
2) It’s a love story told via a man’s perspective.
3) It’s in its most basic sense its title — Essays in Love (or Essays on Love).
4) If you want to be more “propesyonal” about it — it’s a book discussing love– its forms, birth, processes, reasons, its little peculiarities, why things work out, why things don’t, different philosophies and thoughts pertaining to it, and how people deal or not deal with it.
5) This might not be for everyone. But I think if you were in love or thought you were in love, you would be able to relate. I wonder if this would appeal more to those hurt by love, those in love, or those wanting love, etc?
6) It’s sappy but not so sappy. It felt like my 2nd to the last sentence in my previous blog post– when you’re trying not to be too much of a romantic idealist by being realistic while battling cynicism at the same time. Yun.
7) And I think I highlighted the hell out of this book. I had this crazy idea to put quotes of the book on this post, but I feel too out of it to do it. (Maybe another post? 🙂 )
8) The chapter with the initials RT was very enlightening. Also the chapter with JC.
9) So far, It is my best book of the year (I’ve read more than 30,I think?)
10) READ IT.
Now, to get this stupefied look off my face. And I wonder if Alain (wow close!) has other books… ? 🙂
SP—> you earn maximum kudos points from me. I wanna treat you out for coffee! Are you in Manila?! Attend a FFP discussion! 🙂